Or... How to Enjoy Band Camp in Comfort
Proper care starts way before band camp begins.
Starting today you can begin conditioning yourself to be in the best possible shape for a week of band camp and into the marching season. The steps are simple:
BAND CAMP WEEK, You Must...
- EAT BREAKFAST EVERY DAY: We hit the ground working at 9am. You MUST have the proper fuel in you body right from the start. During band camp is NOT the time to skip breakfast or be on a diet.
- BRING SUNGLASSES: Nothing gives you a headache faster than squinting into the sun.
- WEAR HATS or VISORS: A sunburned face and nose are NOT fun. Having sunglasses and hats provide shade, protect your skin and make it easier to see directors, drum majors and your music.
- SUNSCREEN EVERYWHERE EXPOSED: Even if you typically "don't burn" trust us... you WILL want to wear sunscreen. Make sure you apply liberally before camp, and bring sunscreen with you to reapply as needed. Especially vulnerable are the back of your neck, top of the ears, shoulders, arms, sock lines, calves... you get the hint...
- WEAR SUPPORTIVE SHOES: You'll need good fitting athletic shoes. If you've got new shoes, break them in BEFORE camp. NO sandals, flip-flops or fashion shoes. Your feet will be getting a serious work out. Take care of them from the start.
- HAVE DRY SOCKS: Bring extra socks. If you are blister prone, buy sanitary socks at a sporting goods shop to wear UNDER your regular socks. Use Dr. Scholl's Moleskin on blister prone areas BEFORE putting any socks on.
- APPROPRIATE SHIRTS: Dri-Wear, sweat wicking t-shirts are brilliant, consider wearing them vs. cotton t-shirts. Cotton t-shirts can get heavy with sweat and result in chafing. Shirts should be tasteful, no sport bras, unless being worn UNDER a t-shirt. Sun coverage is key.
- SHORTS: Must be of appropriate length. NO short shorts. Breezy athletic shorts work best and are most comfortable.
- IF YOU HAVE MEDICATIONS: Prescriptions and OTC meds must be in the original containers. Some medications may have adverse reactions to prolonged exposure to the sun. Consult your doctor / pharmacist for precautions.
- If your child needs prescription medication to be given to them during the time that they are at band camp, please fill out the prescription permission form found on this website under Resources->Forms & Handouts, and email it to email@example.com or give to Jody Neja. This includes inhalers, EpiPens, and diabetic supplies.
- ALL MEDICAL AND EMERGENCY CONTACT INFORMATION MUST BE SUPPLIED PRIOR TO CAMP. It is Pope HS policy that this must be submitted PRIOR to participation in band camp. This information is given as part of the online registration; therefore, the online registration must be completed PRIOR to band camp.